Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Relatable

While I have very little in common with Stephen King, one thing I know for sure we both have in common in our love for writing. Reading about how Stephen Kings spends months and even years writing just sentences for his novels I found his words to be very relatable for a writer and aspiring journalist like myself. 
In reference to how challenging it can be for a writer to compose the opening lines of his work, Stephen King remarks:
"There are all sorts of theories and ideas about what constitutes a good opening line. It's tricky thing, and tough to talk about because I don't think conceptually while I work on a first draft -- I just write. To get scientific about it is a little like trying to catch moonbeams in a jar.
But there's one thing I'm sure about. An opening line should invite the reader to begin the story. It should say: Listen. Come in here. You want to know about this.
How can a writer extend an appealing invitation -- one that's difficult, even, to refuse?"
His words are so simple and make it all sound so easy. When writing blog posts or articles I constantly wrestle with where I should begin and Stephen Kings says it perfectly here. 
It's a good thing he didn't write his response or else we might not have been graced with his knowledge for months or maybe years to come.   

No comments:

Post a Comment