Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Minimalism

The shear idea of living with less makes me think of a life of simplicity, less complications, and more time for what's really important in life. 
I recently came across a website called The Minimalists. The site and minimalist mind-set was created all by two guys- Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus. Their about page is quite amazing and they have a truly amazing story to tell- two guys finding no satisfaction in the lives they were leading as successful middle-aged men then decided to turn to minimalism and now they find themselves today writing about it on their blog. 
They have written a series of essay about turning toward a minimalist lifestyle and creating more room for the important things, people, desires and dreams in one's life. From guides to de-cluttering to more, these essays tell it like it is according to these guys and some of their stuff could not be more fascinating. I really appreciate people like this that make me challenge my views and outlook on the kind of life I want to live. I sometimes get wrapped up in everything that's going on around me and reading these essays helps to refocus and see what good can come from some of their ideas like going minimalist and living life in a more carefree manner. 
One essay that really caught my eye was titled, Letting Go of Shitty Relationships. This one was interesting as a friend of mine was talking to me today about the value he puts on certain relationships over others and how important it is to find fulfillment in a relationship, to be able to find friendship and feel good about yourself when you're around that person. The Minimalists hit the nail on the head with this essay and I really appreciated their thoughts. 
The most fascinating essay by far from the minimalists was written by Joshua titled, 100 Days with No Goals. As a college student in particular I feel the pressure from adults, teachers, society, friends etc. to set goals for what I want to do with my life, or even what I want to do next week, or today. It is refreshing to read this essay about Joshua's experience with living life without goals. It is simply freeing. While I often appreciate a good to-do list, staring at an uncompleted list of things to get done stresses me out! Joshua decided he didn't need to have goals to be happy and live a fulfilling life. And funny enough, Joshua found himself more productive than he was before. Joshua writes this in his essay which just goes to show you how life changing one small change can be:

"I’ve grown considerably in the last 100 days. I’ve gotten into the best shape of my life, strengthened my personal relationships, established new relationships, and written more than ever before. I’ve grown more in the last 100 days than any other 100-day period in my life."

After reading some of Joshua and Ryan's essays I know I'll be looking at my own life and contemplating what I really need and don't need. It's thoughts like these that even make packing for a vacation or college a little easier and more simple. 

I'll leave you with what the minimalist lifestyle has helped them to do:

  • Eliminate our discontent
  • Reclaim our time
  • Live in the moment
  • Pursue our passions
  • Discover our missions
  • Experience real freedom
  • Create more, consume less
  • Focus on our health
  • Grow as individuals
  • Contribute beyond ourselves
  • Rid ourselves of excess stuff
  • Discover purpose in our lives



No comments:

Post a Comment