Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

Small Inspiration from BIG Ideas

As much as I love journalism and all the learning, writing and reporting that I have done so far, I firmly believe that one day I will become an entrepreneur of some sort and contribute my skill sets to a whole new area outside of journalism.
After watching a video where Joe Gebbia, one of the co-founders of the website airbandb.com, tells the story of how air bed and breakfast came to be I have certainly become inspired. The video is a must watch. As a designer and aspiring entrepreneur Gebbia and two of his friends created the online community marketplace where people can share their spaces around the world. The website was created back in 2008 and after some rough patches in the beginning, now as 2014 approaches the website has taken off and people all over the world are putting their spaces from couches to whole apartments to tree houses on the website for users to rent out. Pretty cool if you ask me!!
And one of the things that I love most about this idea is that while it originally started to help pay the monthly rent, when you listen to Gebbia talk you don't get the feeling that the founders of airbandb.com are primarily fueled by the interest of making money. After visiting the site's users and renting spaces themselves one can see that they are truly invested in making the website the best it can possibly be not just for their own satisfaction but for everyone who experiences air bed and breakfast.
People always ask you as you go through college what you want to do with your life, who you want to become and what are you going to do with that darn journalism degree. Well folks, let me tell you... my dream is to in some facet be able to imagine, create, and invent something new... to challenge myself and work with people I love, to continue to write and explore the world.
As I begin to prepare for studying abroad next semester in London this video was a welcome reminder that the possibilities in life are endless... and to stick with jotting down ideas in a notebook cause you never know if they could one day become a successful business concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment