Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

History in the Making

Just days after my last post here on the blog came the beginning of the federal government shutdown. Simply put, I've been busy lately. As you may be able to assume the past three weeks have been some of the most exciting I have ever experienced, especially as a first time Washington D.C. reporter.
Bearing in mind that it has been 17 years since the last shutdown, which spanned from Dec. 16 1995 to Jan. 5 1996, I consider what I've seen over the last three weeks to be a bit of history. From Sen. Ted Cruz's 21-hour speech on the Senate floor, to the government shutdown, to following Senators reactions to Tea Party tactics, I've certainly seen a lot.
After finding myself in the middle of the latest happenings in Congress and spending the day reporting at the Capitol, I sit here now as the Senate has passed a bill to continue to fund the government and raise the debt limit, avoiding default. As I type this I am also tuned into CSPAN as we await the House vote on the bill to finalize deal before it can be signed by the President.
While this shutdown and hot potato between the House of Representatives and the Senate has been quite thrilling (and educating) as a reporter, I am looking forward to seeing what the next discussions will be in Congress. Stay tuned for more out of Washington D.C. and I'll be posting the links to my stories under 'My Work' tab, so check back and take read when you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment