Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Hunger Games... Done, done and done!

Yes I am one of "those" people that have read The Hunger Games trilogy...
But I couldn't avoid it really, and if you have somehow been able to side step the latest uproar over yet another love triangle let me know how you have been able to do so... (even my Dad has read The Hunger Games...) 
Over winter break, a few of my friends were reading the first Hunger Games book (by Suzanne Collins) and every time we got together their discussion always seemed to be revolving around some district and some people named Peeta, Katniss and Gale...
Consequently I was pulled in instantly... and immediately went to the book store and bought the first Hunger Games book...
I finished the first book in about three days... I was actually surprised at how completely absorbing the plot was.  The creative and tension-thrilling plot line kept me interested, and I was unable to put the book down.  A bit harsh and intense at times there is a large amount of violence in the book.  However the love story and desire for Katniss to win the hunger games kept me reading. 
The second book, Catching Fire, was by far my favorite in the trilogy... more is revealed about Katniss and how the country of Panem actually works and with surprises around every corner I found myself completely absorbed in this book.  Reading Catching Fire you feel as if you are in Katniss' shoes, shocked at every challenge Katniss is forced to overcome, feeling the emotions that she feels.  The reader is really able to connect and get inside of Katniss' character.  All of these things make Catching Fire a fantastic continuation in the trilogy. 
After a great read with Catching Fire, I was a bit disappointed when I began reading the third and final book of Collins trilogy, Mockingjay.  There were a few parts of the book that I thought were brushed over and not given enough attention, while other portions were over done and too long for my liking.  While I speed through the first two books, the third took me longer to get through.  Although Mockingjay was my least favorite, the ending was certainly not a let-down.  
Despite the short-comings in the final book, The Hunger Games trilogy was fantastic and exciting and yes I will be there on March 23 to witness it all unfold on the big screen... 

No comments:

Post a Comment